Filming on the public highway

Applications for filming on the highway must be received with the following notice before the date on which the filming is due to take place:

  • 2 working days’ notice will be required for small applications with cast and crew under 5 people
  • 10 working days’ notice will be required for issuing a filming permit
  • 20 working days’ notice will be required for any traffic management requests*

*Unfortunately, we cannot facilitate road closure requests, due to current legislation. Only temporary short hold requests will be considered.

If you would like to film on the public highway, please complete our online application form.

By completing the application form you are agreeing to abide by the terms and conditions.

What are the terms and conditions?

Before you apply, please read the Terms and Conditions

Surrey Police will need to be notified about any filming that involves the following:

  • Traffic management, low-loader or tracking shots
  • Emergency vehicles or actors in police or modern military uniform
  • There are likely to be public safety issues
  • Crime enactments can be seen from a public place
  • Nudity or perceived nudity can be seen from a public place
  • Weapons, whether real or props, are used and visible or audible in a public place 

To notify Surrey Police, please complete their online form. Alternatively, you can contact Surrey police via email at or by calling 101. Please ask for a reference number and supply this with your application.

Please also contact the relevant district/borough council, to comply with any requirements and regulations that they may stipulate.

How much does the application cost?

Please take a look at our SFO Highways film charges for the listed fees.

What documentation is required?

  • Copy of public liability insurance certificate (a minimum of £10 million is required in respect of any one incident to cover liability against all third party risks).
  • Risk assessment, including COVID-19 protocols
  • Detailed Traffic Management plan (if relevant)
  • Reference number from police (for any of the reasons outlined above)

Once the completed application has been received, the site will be checked for suitability, and a site meeting will be arranged, if required. If areas and dates are not suitable due to roadworks, you will receive a letter giving the reasons for this.

Filming on Public Rights of Way

Surrey County Council does not require an application for filming on public rights of way, but consent should always be gained from affected landowners.

Check our interactive map to identify any routes that may be in the area of proposed filming.

Public rights of way must remain open at all times. If however, obstruction or interference to public access is unavoidable, then you will need to apply for a temporary path closure.

Parking bay suspensions

Parking suspension requests are managed by the relevant district/borough council.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about your application, you can contact us via the Surrey Film Office.

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact us via the Surrey Film Office or report it online directly to highways.

Further details can be found on Surrey County Council’s complaints, comments and compliments page.